Ten Things You Didn't Know About Snuffleupagus
Of all of the popular kid's shows throughout the years, almost none are as loved as Sesame Street. The show premiered in 1969 and still has a major presence on television. Now, in it's 43rd season (that's 4300 episodes!), the program shows no signs of slowing down. Though some changes have been made, namely that Cookie Monster now eats responsibly, many things have stayed the same. The show still tries to entertain kids and tech them valuable lessons at the same time.
Sesame Street has spawned some serious merchandising over the years, including everything from lunch boxes and plush toys to DVD boxed sets and Halloween costumes - and that infernal Tickle Me Elmo doll.
Some of the breakout stars of the show have been Big Bird, Bert and Ernie, Cookie Monster, Oscar the Grouch and, of course, Elmo. My personal favorite, though, hasn't received as much attention. In order to spread the love and get Snuffy some much deserved popularity, here are ten things you never knew about Snuffleupagus!
The Snuffle Shuffle!
- Though he is usually called Mr. Snuffleupagus or simply Snuffy, his real name is Aloysius Snuffleupagus.
- He was originally modeled after a woolly mammoth, but without the tusks.
- For a good bit of his time on Sesame Street, only Big Bird could see him. Then he started showing himself to the other characters on the show, mainly the kids, until finally allowing the adults to see him seventeen years in!
- Episode 2895, officially titled Snuffy's Parents Get Divorced, was never aired because producers believed that the Sesame Street demographic was not old enough to understand the concept of divorce. Although other tough topics (like death) had been touched on in the series, the powers that be decided that this subject was just not age appropriate.
- Snuffy has had four different performers, Richard Hunt, Jerry Nelson, Michael Earl, and Marty Robinson. His costume is very heavy and takes two people to operate, just like a horse costume. One guy works the front of the suit and another operates the back.
- Snuffy will always be four years old although his official birthday is August 19th, which makes him a Leo!
- He lives in a cave just off of Sesame Street with his family that includes his little sister Alice and a cousin named Señor Snuffalupago. Their last name is Snuffleupagus which is also their species.
- In episode 1090, which aired in 1978, Snuffy and family got to go on a trip to Hawaii, which was his first time outside the "lower 48."
- Snuffy's favorite foods are cabbage and spaghetti and he loves sassafras tea.
- His shoe size is 65GGG (he wears four shoes!) and he weighed 572 pounds and 5 ounces at birth! That's one big baby!