Music on Supernatural
From the get-go, the stage is set for the genre of music featured on Supernatural. In the pilot episode, Sam is flipping through Dean's cassette collection, labeling it as "mullet rock" to which Dean replies the classic line: "Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cake hole." Artists such as AC/DC, Bob Seger, Black Sabbath, Metallica and Bad Company, all classic rock musicians, are vital to the production of the successful series. Series creator and executive producer for the first six seasons, Eric Kripke, has commented on the music selection on multiple occasions. Defending his music taste and that of the show, he remarked pre-production, "And you can take your anemic alternative pop and shove it up your ass. Dean plays bass thumping, pile driving Zeppelin, and he plays it loud." He believes the music to be a "real signature" on the show - two brothers with humble roots in Lawrence, Kansas driving a 1967 Chevy Impala cross-country fighting monsters.
The Essentials: AC/DC & Bob Seger
Both AC/DC and Bob Seger are featured throughout the entirety of Supernatural. In the pilot alone, Highway to Hell and Back in Black are played when Dean saves Sam from the Lady in White and Sam finds Dean's cassette tape collection respectively. Bob Seger makes his first appearance in episode 14, Nightmare, where his song 2+2=? is played along with Lucifer.
Some other featured and fitting music of these two icons include:
- AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long: Played during the "Road So Far" recap in season 4 and again during The Slice Girls episode in season 7, where Dean has to kill his Amazonian daughter.
- AC/DC - Hell's Bells: Another "Road So Far" recap in season 3.
- AC/DC - Thunderstruck: This is also featured in a "Road So Far" recap in the opener of season 5.
- AC/DC - For Those About to Rock (We Salute You): This is fittingly played at the end of a season 9 episode in which Dorothy and Charlie enter into Oz.
- Bob Seger - Beautiful Loser: Sam's in hell and Dean has started a life of his own with Lisa and Ben. This is played during his "new" life recap
- Bob Seger - Katmandu: Yet another "Road So Far" piece played in the middle of season 8. This song is the epitome of classic rock.
- Bob Seger - Her Strut
- Bob Seger- Against the Wind
Several iconic moments in Supernatural history are accompanied by iconic classics. The first song Carry on my Wayward Son by Kansas is an emotional masterpiece for any Supernatural fan. This hit is played during the recap of every finale starting at season 1. Another Kansas song is mentioned in Season 6, "Appointment in Sahara" when Dean must wear Death's ring for the day. When asked the meaning of life, Dean replies "everything is dust in the wind" referencing the Kansas song Dust in the Wind, released in 1977. The second iconic moment is the season 3 episode, "Mystery Spot" when Sam repeatedly wakes up on Tuesday and Dean continues to die day after day. Each morning, Sam is awoken by Asia's Heat of the Moment to which Dean is usually singing along. This is just one instance of Dean's singing, the third iconic moment is Dean's rendition of Survivor's Eye of the Tiger in season 7. The episode only shows a portion of Jensen Ackles performance; however, the full, unscripted, version has been seen by millions. While this may be one of Dean's favorites, Some Kind of Monster by Metallica calms Dean. While flying in "Phantom Traveler" he hums this to ease his fears.
An Extended Soundtrack
The music on Supernatural is broader than simply the songs mentioned above. In season 1 alone, there is over 85 listed tracks ranging from the Dave Matthews Band, to Blue Öyster Cult and Rush. Listed below are several of the popular more well-known Supernatural tracks from season 1 through season 9. It is just the beginning to your classic rock playlist.
- Bad Company - Movin' Out (1.03)
- Black Sabbath - Paranoid (1.04)
- The Death Riders - Mary (1.06)
- Key Grip - Dancing on a Wire (1.07)
- The Scorpions - No one Like You (1.08)
- Tom Coerver - Backwater Rising (1.22)
- Ted Nugent - Stranglehold (2.01)
- Sound Garden - Fell on Black Days (2.05)
- Foreigner - Cold as Ice (2.06)
- Nazareth - Hair of a Dog (2.08)
- Poison - Every Rose Has Its Thorn (2.09)
- Styx - Renegade (2.12)
- REO Speedwagon - Back on the Road Again (2.14)
- The Animals - The House of the Rising Sun (2.16)
- Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead or Alive (3.16)
- Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man (5.03)
- Def Leppard - Rock of Ages (5.22)
- Aerosmith - Back in the Saddle (6.12)
- The Rolling Stones - Play with Fire (6.22)
- Foghat - Slow Ride (7.01)
- Steppenwolf - Born to Be Wild (7.23)
- Styx - Man in the Wilderness (8.01)
- George Thorogood and the Destroyers - Who Do You Love? (9.01)
Wesley on July 20, 2020:
Is it okay to have glee Versions of "Can't Fight This Feeling" & "All Out Love" Ect Ect Ect ???
Supernatural mom on May 14, 2020:
I'm looking for the episode that features highway song , any help ?
Rockstar Foxy on May 01, 2019:
Bro I love Sam, Dean, Castiel, and Jack but I especially love Dean because of his taste in music
Spyder on April 02, 2019:
What do you mean He will barely be in season 15
William on March 01, 2019:
Who sings wanted Man
noah on February 12, 2019:
i am the biggest jensen ackles fan i hate he's barely going to be in season 15
Abi on December 17, 2018:
In LOVE with this show, making a youtube playlist of all the songs I hear, so this was really helpful!!!! I'm only 12, and Isabell and "It doesn't matter" are so right!!!!!
Mary on December 08, 2018:
It's my favorite show ever. The music rocks. Sam and Dean are so fine!!! So is John. The demons are scarier then the movies.
Me on August 26, 2018:
Thank you! I love the classic rock and couldn’t find all the songs.
It doesn't matter on July 10, 2018:
I'm 12 also and I agree with isabella
AlxMcyDo on June 09, 2018:
I'm very surprised that the Show doesn't have full music soundtrack collections for sale. The only ones I have seen are coverbands.
dabangg_boy on March 21, 2017:
thanks...love the show....waiting for more songs from upcoming seasons
isabella on September 04, 2014:
I love supernatural so much im 12 and I love this genre of music a lot my favorite
Alyssa S (author) from USA on February 17, 2014:
Thank you! It's a fantastic show for reasons more than just the music too. And yes, seasons 1-8 are all on Netflix!
Karen from Salem, OR on February 16, 2014:
I think I might need to start watching this show! This is my absolute favorite genre of music, but I had no idea it was featured so much on this show. Are there seasons available on Netflix Instant? Great hub, btw!