Looking for a list of the top 10 Big Bang Theory episodes?
Here are my 10 favourite episodes of the brilliantly-scripted hit TV show The Big Bang Theory.
WARNING - MANY SPOILERS BELOW!!
1. The Staircase Implementation - Season 3, Episode 22
In this flashback episode, Leonard describes to Penny how he and Sheldon met and became roommates.
- Sheldon administers a roommate screening test to determine Leonard's suitability as a roommate.
- The roommate agreement makes its first appearance.
- While Leonard is insisting that his latest experiment is safe, Sheldon silently takes the experiment from Leonard, deposits it on the apartment elevator floor, and gets Leonard and himself out of the elevator, before shutting the elevator doors behind them. When an explosion is then heard from the elevator shaft, it turns out that Sheldon has saved both of their lives.
2. The Flaming Spittoon Acquisition - Season 5, Episode 10
When Amy (Sheldon's friend who's a girl and a friend, but not his girlfriend) tags along on the guys' weekly trip to the comic book store, she draws the attention of Stuart, the comic book store owner. Before asking Amy out, Stuart has Leonard run it by Sheldon, who states that the point is moot, as Amy is a noted neurobiologist and would never been interested in Stuart.
Once Amy goes out with Stuart, Sheldon displays various classic signs of jealousy, including stalking Stuart via Facebook, being overly defensive, and trying to make Amy jealous by asking out Penny.
Finally, Sheldon mans up and asks Amy to be his girlfriend.
- Sheldon (after interrupting Amy and Stuart's date at the movie theatre): With the understanding that nothing changes whatsoever, physical or otherwise, I would not object to us no longer characterizing you as not my girlfriend.
Amy: Interesting. Now try it without the quadruple negative.
Sheldon: You're being impossible.
Amy (snuggling up to Stuart): Hi Stuart.
Sheldon: Fine! Amy, will you be my girlfriend?
- Once Amy has agreed to be his girlfriend, Sheldon asks her to sign a 31-page relationship agreement, which includes a section indicating when handholding is acceptable (only as a lifesaving measure, a post-Nobel Prize handshake, or during flu shots), and a section on "booboos and ouchies".
This was a fabulous episode! Such tremendous personal growth for Sheldon.
3. The Roommate Transmogrification - Season 4, Episode 24
In this exciting finale to Season 4, plot twists turn the gang's world upside-down.
Howard feels like a kept man, with his fiancée Bernardette finishing her Ph.D. dissertation and accepting a lucrative job offer. Leonard continues to date Raj's sister Priya while she is staying over at Raj's. After overhearing Leonard and Priya acting out Star Trek sex fantasies in his apartment, Raj can't take it anymore, and ends up switching bedrooms with Leonard, who agrees to temporarily take on Raj as his new roommate.
- Howard: "You bought me a Rolex?!? How much did this cost?"
Bernadette: "You let me worry about the money. I just want my baby to have pretty things."
- After an evening of free-flowing alcohol, Penny wakes up in bed with a mute Raj. To quote Penny: "Really? Still can't talk to me???"
- Penny & Raj's walk of shame through Sheldon's apartment, in view of Leonard, Sheldon, and Howard, is priceless.
Yet another terrific cliffhanger.
4. The Agreement Dissection - Season 4, Episode 21
Sheldon tags along on Penny, Amy & Bernadette's girls' night out, an evening of alcohol, inebriation, and dancing. Using her training as a lawyer, Priya nullifies Sheldon & Leonard's roommate agreement.
- After Sheldon admits he's never kissed a girl (other than female relatives), a drunken Amy offers her lips up to Sheldon in order for him to experiment with kissing, but he declines.
- Sheldon to Amy: "I understand the alcohol has stirred up whatever it is that makes girls go wild."
- The drunken Amy finally steals a kiss from Sheldon, before throwing up!
- Sheldon blackmails Leonard into signing a revised roommate agreement by threatening to email Priya's parents about her relationship with Leonard.
5. The Prestidigitation Approximation - Season 4, Episode 18
Despite his superior intellect, Sheldon cannot figure out how Howard's new magic trick works.
- At the episode's end, when the camera pans to show us the playing cards from Howard's magic trick, we realize that the entire gang has been in on the card trick, in order to fool Sheldon.
6. The Lunar Excitation - Season 3, Episode 23
Unknownst to Sheldon, his friends sign him up for online dating, and a perfect match is revealed. In this third-season finale, Mayim Bialik does a fabulous job guest-starring as Sheldon's match, neurobiologist Amy Farrah Fowler.
- Reluctantly, Sheldon goes on his first date, meeting a brilliant woman who's just like him. Surprisingly, the first hint of Sheldon's interest in a fellow human appears.
A great season 3 cliffhanger that kept me wondering about Sheldon's love life all summer.
7. The Adhesive Duck Deficiency - Season 3, Episode 8
While the rest of the guys are camping in the desert waiting for the Leonid meteor shower, Sheldon rescues Penny after she slips and falls in her bathtub and dislocates her shoulder. Sheldon chastises Penny for not having non-slip stickers (like his adhesive duck stickers) on her bathtub floor to avoid such mishaps.
- Sheldon (while filling in Penny's hospital admission form): "Cause of accident? Lack of adhesive ducks."
- After their emergency room visit, Sheldon sings Soft Kitty in the round with a hospital drug-addled Penny.
- After eating "special" cookies baked by the hippies at the neighbouring campsite, Leonard, Raj, and Howard run through the gamut of psychedelic behaviour, including Howard admitting that he lost his virginity to his second cousin.
8. The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis - Season 2, Episode 11
Sheldon's gift-giving rituals annoy his friends at Christmas. Meanwhile, Penny goes out with one of Leonard's hot coworkers.
- Unsure of what Penny will be getting him for Christmas, Sheldon purchases several bath gift sets in different price ranges, in order to have one gift of equal value on hand upon seeing her gift to him, and with the intent of returning all of the other baskets after exchanging gifts with Penny.
When Penny presents him with a napkin autographed by Star Trek actor Leonard Nimoy, Sheldon is overcome by emotion and gives her an awkward hug.
Sheldon then gives her ALL of the bath gift sets.
9. The Maternal Congruence - Season 3, Episode 11
- Christine Baranski makes her second appearance as Leonard's ever-critical mother, a psychiatrist who gets on famously with Sheldon, but who isn't as close to Leonard.
- While drunk, Leonard's mother kisses Sheldon.
10. The Alien Parasite Hypothesis - Season 4, Episode 10
Sheldon's friend Amy Farrah Fowler (who's a friend and a girl, but not a girlfriend) discovers that she has sexual feelings for Penny's ex-boyfriend, Zack.
- While visiting Amy in her lab, Sheldon and Amy reach the surprising conclusion that she was sexually aroused by Zack. When Amy asks Sheldon if he's jealous, he doesn't answer, and attempts to pack up his lunch and leave, only to accidentally pack up the brain slices from Amy's lab research. Is that a hint of jealousy?
- Despite feeling quite aroused by Zack's brief handshake at the bar, Amy realizes that she can't be with someone of such limited intellect and leaves the bar. Outside, she then takes Sheldon's hand as an experiment, but drops it, declaring that there's "nothing".
Watch Big Bang Theory Full Episodes Online For Free
- The Big Bang Theory Video - The Roommate Transmogrification - CBS.com
After hearing Leonard and Priya indulge in a
- Watch the Big Bang Theory Online on CTV | Watch Full Episodes | New Big Bang Theory -
Watch full episodes of The Big Bang Theory in Canada for free at CTV.ca - The Big Bang Theory news, photos, video and more...
Big Bang Theory Episode Guide
- The Big Bang Theory Episode Guide
Find information on Big Bang Theory episodes.
cela on August 02, 2020:
what about Howard and the robot arm?
Sheldor the Conqueror on May 09, 2018:
Fellow warriors, this is Sheldor the Conqueror. Season 2 episode 3.
anonymous on September 16, 2017:
the allowance evaporation is one of my favourites. i know its a very recent episode (season 10) but i loved it
Lori on February 03, 2017:
My fave is The Einstein Approximation. The scene in the pool of balls where he hides and pops up saying " bazynga" made me laugh so hard! 3/14 episode.
VancouverGal (author) from Canada on December 24, 2014:
Thanks, Mike! And THAT was a pretty epic moment!
Mike on December 22, 2014:
Definitely with you on the one that Season 3 Episode 22 is first. Only flashback episode they have made. I was almost peeing myself laughing when Sheldon turned the apartment flag upside down on the fridge before he went to save Leonard's life. Best show ever!
VancouverGal (author) from Canada on October 30, 2013:
Thank you, Prajwal!
prajwal pokharel from kathmandu on October 30, 2013:
Haha ...... this show is the funniest... i have put this show in #1 of my top 5 sitcom hub.... i was hoping that the funniest will be the roomate introduction .... you have put it in #1 as well .... great job love
VancouverGal (author) from Canada on October 01, 2013:
That's so awesome!! Glad you like this list, and have fun getting caught up on the whole series!
Eric Erickson on October 01, 2013:
Thanks for this list!! I have watched the show here-and-there over the last few years, and just decided to buy a few episodes on iTunes. I literally just bought these ten as a starting point.
VancouverGal (author) from Canada on July 22, 2013:
Thank you! Glad for an embarrassment of riches when it comes to picking just the very best episodes!
Stan Murphy from Kansas on July 22, 2013:
Love Big Bang ! I was late to the party, coming in at Season 3, but thankfully reruns abound! Such a good article choice and fun to debate!
Eeshan on July 05, 2013:
S05E17 is AWESOME
Natasia on June 12, 2013:
Season 2, Episode 2 is up there with the best - The Griffin Equivalency. Sheldon does a stellar job here in faking enthusiasm for Raj's discovery.
Jason on June 07, 2013:
Best episode by far, Season 4 Ep 1 - The Robotic Manipulation
VancouverGal (author) from Canada on April 23, 2013:
Good choice! The Grasshopper Experiment is such a classic!
meerkat on April 23, 2013:
i like se1 ep8
VancouverGal (author) from Canada on April 13, 2013:
It's Episode 9 on this list - in The Maternal Congruence (Season 3, Episode 11), Leonard's mother gets drunk and kisses Sheldon!
miamiguy on April 12, 2013:
Does anyone know which episode Sheldon and Leonards mother got together ?
VancouverGal (author) from Canada on December 26, 2012:
Thanks so much Alecia!
Alecia Murphy from Wilmington, North Carolina on December 09, 2012:
This show is so awesome! And I'm glad that the addition of Bernadette and Amy have only added to the hijinks that go on. I do love it when Sheldon hugs Penny and my next favorite moment has to be when everyone holds hands to see Howard off into space- such a seminal moment. You did a great job with this list!
VancouverGal (author) from Canada on June 11, 2012:
Thanks so much! This show resonates with me the same way because I am a computer nerd by profession...
Pamela K Conoly from Fort Worth,Tx. on June 11, 2012:
Totally love this show! I have actually worked with people like this. That's why its kind of special to me.I work on my computer all the time even while everyone around me might be watching TV but I will shut it down just for this show! Thanks for writing this!
penguinsNcookies on May 21, 2012:
The Maternal Congruence is hilarious! I love Christine Baranski as Leonard's mom. She and Sheldon are two peas in a pod and so good. Also, episodes with Wil Wheaton are great. His dynamic with Sheldon is fantastic.
mommyloves2write on May 16, 2012:
I could not pick a favorite...I love this entire series!
VancouverGal (author) from Canada on April 29, 2012:
Great quote indeed!
Hie on April 29, 2012:
I personally LOVE "The Love Car Displacement"
Bernadette: "... I can tell you, even the tiniest organisms can still tear you a new one."
Howard: "Interesting. I think hat you might need to know about my colleague is that while she claims her field of interest is tiny organisms, she certainly has spent her share of time on what we can assume is pretty massive weaponry."
Subash on April 16, 2012:
My six will be:-
1.)The Griffin Equivalency
2.)The Bath Item Hypothesis
4.)The Friendship Algorithm
5.)The Pirate Solution
6.)The Jerusalem Duality
VancouverGal (author) from Canada on March 31, 2012:
That episode is sooo disturbing!
Sambags on March 31, 2012:
Best is the robotic arm episode. Funniest by far. Season 4 episode 1
VancouverGal (author) from Canada on March 15, 2012:
That one was the Zarnecki Incursion, which was also an awesome episode, especially with Penny's method of getting Sheldon's stuff back!
anne on March 15, 2012:
I love the sheldon called the police because someone hacked into his world of war craft account.
..." what didn't they steal....?? The part with the police officer was very funny
VancouverGal (author) from Canada on March 01, 2012:
I found both the robot arm and the Shelbot episodes so creepy!
Matt on February 21, 2012:
I can't believe the first two episodes of season 4 have hardly been mentioned. The robot arm episode and shelbot are hysterical!
VancouverGal (author) from Canada on February 09, 2012:
That sounds awesome!
VancouverGal (author) from Canada on February 09, 2012:
Glad you can still get caught up on the latest episodes!
... on February 06, 2012:
yay i have 2 shelden jumpers Green Lantern and Robot evolution
Peter on February 03, 2012:
So what? We here in germany get only to see, what the stupid cable-companies are able to dub in time, with no original voices at all!
Thanks to the P2P's there's a way out of this hell...^
VancouverGal (author) from Canada on January 09, 2012:
Sorry to hear that, Jayden - glad I have a spoiler warning for folks who haven't seen all the episodes already broadcast in North America!
jayden on January 09, 2012:
it sucks for me in Australia we currently only have the 4th season out. I hate how we get big bang theory release so late compared to other places in the world,in Australia the 4 biggest shows going are of course big bang theory, how I met your mother, sons of anarchy and chuck. But we still run behind compared to the rest of the world in the series. idk y but this makes my blood boil! btw I have no idea y i am saying this on here probs cause I just needed to get it off my chest!!!....
VancouverGal (author) from Canada on December 28, 2011:
Actually, it's pretty difficult to decide, because there are so many awesome episodes!
rednickle from New Brunswick Canada on December 26, 2011:
Ok frankly speaking in as much your selections seem reasonable i can not really pick out specific episodes and call them my funniest episodes because the show is just funny as a whole
Muddasir Ali on December 25, 2011:
I am in love with Big Bang theory.. .
I have currently watched complete 1st season and few of the second season.
I think "pilot" and "lizard spock" are greatest and funniest by far.
gehrig4 from Saint Charles, Missouri on December 07, 2011:
My all time favorite is the bath item gift hypothesis. Sheldon's reaction when Penny gives him the napkin had me rolling on the floor crying I was laughing so hard.
VancouverGal (author) from Canada on November 29, 2011:
Sheldon is awesome and really makes this an incredible show. As for the ball pit episode, I actually found it pretty creepy...
Gismo_Girl on November 25, 2011:
I think all but one of my favorite episodes have been mentioned: I can't believe no one's named Season 3, Episode 14: The Einstein Approximation. It's when Sheldon is stuck on a problem, and long story short, ends up in a ball pit, in the middle of the night, repeatedly jumping out of the balls exclaming "Bazinga!" Haha, so funny!!
fitnesszone from New York on November 21, 2011:
If someone told me to select 10 best episodes of TBBT, I would fail to do so. Each and every episode is hilarious. Just love Sheldon!
VancouverGal (author) from Canada on October 19, 2011:
Wow - that's an awesome list you've made for each season! Season 5 is also shaping up to be great so far.
Liam on October 07, 2011:
I Love TBBT, And unlike many others I really enjoyed season 4, apart from the utterly awful "Toast Derivation". Not only was that the worst of the season, but set a low I didn't think the series would ever reach.
I Couldn't Limit it to 10 episodes period, but here are my 10 favourites from each season:
The Big Bran Hypothesis
The Luminous Fish Effect (Best of Season)
The Dumpling Paradox
The Grasshopper Experiment
The Cooper-Hodfstader Polarisation
The Loobenfeld Decay
The Jerusalem Duality
The Bat Jar Conjecture
The Nerdvana Annihilation
The Tangerine Factor
The Codpiece Topology
The Barbarian Sublimation (Best of Season)
The Cooper-Nowitzki Theorem
The Panty Pinata Polarization
The Lizard-Spock Expansion
The White Asparagus Triangulation
The Friendship Algorithm
The Terminator Decoupling
The Work Song Nanocluster
The Hodfstader Isotope
The Pirate Solution
The Creepy Candy Coating Corollary
The Guitarist Amplification
The Adhesive Duck Defficiency
The Psychic Vortex
The Large Hadron Collision
The Precious Fragmentation
The Pants Alternative
The Spaghetti Catalyst
The Staircase Implementation (Best of Season)
The Hot Troll Deviation
The Irish Pub Formulation
The Apology Insufficiency
The 21-Second Excitation
The Boyfriend Complexity
The Justice League Recombination (Best of Series)
The Bus Pants Utilization
The Herb Garden Germination
The Agreement Dissection
The Roommate Transmogrification
What I Thought of the episodes on your list:
"Staircase"-Brilliant. Best of the series
"Roommate"-A Shoo-in for the top 10
"Dissection"-Not top 10, but still great
"Approximation"-I Liked the subplot, but hated the main plot. So not anywhere near the top 10
"Lunar"-Best Ending ever. Other than that, only good
"Duck"-Adored it. Top 10 for sure
"Gift"-Outside of the hug, I didn't like it that much
"Maternal"-Apart from the kiss, I didn't like it that much
"Parasite"-Hated. In my top 10 WORST
"Zarnecki"-Enjoyed it, but didn't love it
I Love the Sheldon Character. The acting of Jim Parsons is phenomenal.
Finally, I have really enjoyed the episodes of season 5 so far. I Loved "Skank". Sheldon gives one of his best lines ever.
"And for the record, I do have genitals. They're functional and aesthetically pleasing"
Have you seen the S5 ones so far?
VancouverGal (author) from Canada on October 03, 2011:
Thanks Alecia! Sheldon is such an awesomely written character - he really brings OCD and Asperger's syndrome to life in such an engaging way.
Alecia Murphy from Wilmington, North Carolina on October 02, 2011:
I just got into this show, but it is hilarious. I especially love Sheldon and his OCD quirks.
VancouverGal (author) from Canada on September 29, 2011:
Yep, this is my geek girl perspective indeed!
Thanks for adding your picks - especially The Friendship Algorithm and The Hot Troll Deviation!
James on September 26, 2011:
and I forgot to see it was a woman posting this
Seems my GF loves the episodes I loathe as well...gender specific humor I suspect. Not bad, just shows the difference in what women and male geeks find funny.
Also explains why we have trouble getting women...lol
Killer Robot Instability
Classified Materials Turbelance
Bath Item gift hypothesis
All of those are season 2
I did like
Adhesive Duck and Vengence formulation from season 3
and Hot troll deviation (Raj vs Sheldon) and
The Prestidigitation Approximation (Howard vs Sheldon) were a riot
James on September 26, 2011:
I'm sorry ONE episode form Season 2? One of the best seasons of any show on TV?
and #2 is the episode that KILLED most of the core audience that made the show a cult classic (it no longer will be) in the making?
Sheldon v 2.2 on July 26, 2011:
Hello, I like a lot of the big bang theory episodes, but priya is a little bit boring.
What I do like is that thing with the hot beverage, it keeps coming back!
The episodes are written very good!
Sorry for bad English, from the Netherlands.
And later, I'm afraid it's not optional. :P
Live prosper w
Thereseeee on July 16, 2011:
my favorite episodes is all of them :)
i was wondering if anyone could tell me which episode it is where sheldon keeps drinking of other peoples glasses and then goes to the bar to disinfect his mouth, swallows a bit of alcohol and think he is drunk?
aaaaand (if i'm not asking to much) could you send me a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org when answered? :)
Megan Kathleen from Los Gatos, CA on July 05, 2011:
I agree with everyone who mentioned The Adhesive Duck Deficiency. "Cause of accident? Lack of adhesive ducks..." The best and funniest episodes for me always feature Sheldon and Penny interactions. The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis is another favorite of mine for the same reason, but I would not call it the funniest. And The Guitarist Amplification? Penny and Leonard have to coddle a Sheldon who is upset his "parents" are fighting.
As for the best of season four, the award has to go to The Love Car Displacement. Amy and Penny friendship, hotel room switches, and Bernadette at her sassiest. Instant classic for me!
James on June 06, 2011:
Loobenfield decay is a good episode, Season one has 'good' episodes, not great. Season 2, with the exception of the "romantic" episodes are classics.
I did like the adhesive duck episode, that would be in my top 10. "There, there" and "The hero always peeks" lol
rafael on May 31, 2011:
loobenfeld decay is the best-written episode, very intricate and surprising
Pfresh on May 28, 2011:
The Adhesive duck deficiency is the best episode yet. I have not seen anyone mention this episode. did it hit me good or do you agree?
James on May 27, 2011:
Not even close...season 3?
1) 2-13 Friendship algorithm...classic!
2) 2-05 Euclid Alternative- Sheldon driving?
3) 4-04 Hot troll deviation -an odd classic in a bad season. Hoaward & Bernadette, plus Raj vs Sheldon
4) 2-01 Bad Fish paradigm -"I drank milk that taste dfunny"
5) 2-07 The panty pinanta polarization -Penny vs Sheldon and Sheldon suffers his 1st loss
The pIrate Solution and Lizard Spock are close ...boy this series has gone downhill huh?
VancouverGal (author) from Canada on May 08, 2011:
Great choices, everyone!
Frank on May 08, 2011:
1 - The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis
2 - The Euclid Alternative (Sheldon Driving)
3 - The Adhesive Duck Deficiency (Sheldon Driving Again)
4 - The Cornhusker Vortex (Football)
5 - Monkey Business
Rocky on April 07, 2011:
Episode 10 from season 3: The Gorilla Experiment is in my opnion the best episode of all 4 seasons. Howard is playing the cool guy while sheldon is making fun of him =>
kripke on April 06, 2011:
i like the episode where in sheldon is on a driving lesson!!!
and the episode when he dot sick!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny on February 15, 2011:
funniest episode is season 2 episode 1 " the bad fish paradigm" where sheldon has to keep a secret for leonard and goes to raj's and howard's and then howard drug sheldon its hilarious
VancouverGal (author) from Canada on January 13, 2011:
This show is wonderfully written! And until this season, we never had any smidge of evidence that Sheldon might be able to love us back!
Broke Bloak on January 13, 2011:
I just got into this series, FUNNY!! I totally have a crush on Sheldon!
VancouverGal (author) from Canada on January 02, 2011:
I'm waiting to see what happens with Leonard and Penny this season!
panicmoon on January 02, 2011:
i love the season 3 leonard/penny episodes