16 Best Korean Dramas You Need to Watch Right Now
Find Your Next Favourite K-Drama Here!
If you read this, you have probably watched tens or hundreds or maybe even more Korean dramas and are looking for new series worth your attention. Well, I´ve got you covered with the list the top 16 best Korean dramas you need to watch right now!
What Are the Best Korean Dramas?
- Cinderella and Four Knights (16 episodes)
- Moon Embracing the Sun (20 episodes)
- Coffee Prince (17 episodes)
- High Society (16 episodes)
- It's Okay, That's Love (16 episodes)
- Cheese in the Trap (16 episodes)
- My Secret Romance (13 episodes)
- To the Beautiful You (16 episodes)
- Marriage Contract (16 episodes)
- Playful Kiss (16 episodes)
- Boys Over Flowers (25 episodes)
- The Legend of the Blue Sea (20 episodes)
- Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo (16 episodes)
- Secret Love Affair (16 episodes)
- W Two Worlds (16 episodes)
- Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo (20 episodes)
16. Cinderella and Four Knights
Cinderella and the Four Knights is a fun and easy watch. Though it is a modern-day drama, it draws certain characterization and plot devices from the original fairy tale. The series tells the story of a girl who gets the opportunity to live at the fancy mansion and make some money to pay for her upcoming university tuition fees. She doesn't realize first that she draws the affections of three boys (the grandsons of the man who owns this mansion). If you are looking for a drama that will bring you light-hearted pleasure, it's worth a try.
- Park So-Dam as Eun Ha-Won
- Jung Il-Woo as Kang Ji-Woon
- Ahn Jae-Hyun as Kang Hyun-Min
- Lee Jung-Shin as Kang Seo-Woo
- Choi Min as Lee Yoon-Sung
15. Moon Embracing the Sun
The Moon Embracing the Sun is a historical fiction drama about the love story between a king and a female shaman. However, the young lady hasn't been a shaman for her entire life. Moreover, she met the king and fell in love with him long ago, before her presumed death. Unfortunately, she remembers nothing about it. Will she recognize her admirer? Will she remember her past? And why did she turned out into a shaman?
- Kim Soo Hyun as Lee Hwon
- Yeo Jin Goo as Hwon (15 year old)
- Han Ga In as Heo Yeon Woo / Wol
- Kim Yoo Jung as Yeon Woo (13 year old)
- Lee Min Ho as young Yang Myung
- Jung Il Woo as Prince Yang Myung
- Kim So Hyun as young Bo Kyung
- Kim Min Seo as Yoon Bo Kyung
14. Coffee Prince
Coffee Prince revolves around the story of a tomboyish girl. She used to be mistaken for a boy. One day she befriends with a handsome, rich man. Soon they both realize they fall in love with each other, but the rich man doesn´t know his new friend is a girl. If you are looking for an unusual, unique plot-line, give this k-drama a shot!
- Yoon Eun-Hye as Go Eun-Chan
- Gong Yoo as Choi Han-Kyul
- Lee Sun-Kyun as Choi Han-Sung
- Chae Jung-An as Han Yoo-Joo
13. High Society
They say the grass is always greener on the other side – this is what it's about. High Society is about people who wish to live not their own lives but to pretend they live the life of someone else. This Korean drama introduces us to a daughter of a family that owns a huge corporation and a man who wants to climb the social ladder. The girl prefers to keep her wealthy background a secret while trying to find true happiness in life, but the man comes from a poor family and his plans are somewhat different.
- Uee as Jang Yoon-Ha
- Sung Joon as Choi Joon-Ki
- Park Hyung-Sik as Yoo Chang-Soo
- Lim Ji-Yeon as Lee Ji-Yi
12. It's Okay, That's Love
If you are looking for a sweet and strange (positively) drama, probably you should try this one. It's Okay, That's Love seems to be really modern and realistic as it focuses on issues involving mental illnesses. Basically the story is about a mystery writer, radio host who struggles with a mental illness and a woman, psychiatrist who tries to help him. The woman also has some mental problems – she suffers from a phobia of sexual intimacy. You should check this drama if you want to know how their lives change after their first meeting.
- Jo In-Sung as Jang Jae-Yeol
- Sung Yoo-Bin as young Jang Jae-Yeol
- Gong Hyo-Jin as Ji Hae-Soo
- Kang Joo-Eun as young Ji Hae-Soo
- Sung Dong-Il as Jo Dong-Min
- Lee Kwang-Soo as Park Soo-Kwang
- Do Kyung-Soo as Han Kang-Woo
11. Cheese in the Trap
Cheese in the Trap is a 16 episode series that follows a turbulent relationship between a shy girl with an extremely popular but mysterious top-student. Their relationship develops amidst the chaotic life that students face in their twenties. If you want to watch a drama about student life with a compelling and fresh storyline, the Cheese in the Trap is for you.
- Yoo Jung as Park Hae-Jin
- Hong Seol as Kim Go-Eun
- Baek In-Ho as Seo Kang-Joon
- Baek In-Ha as Lee Sung-Kyung
10. My Secret Romance
My Secret Romance is for all the prayers who want a pure candid story full of romantic clichés. The romantic comedy revolves around two people bound by a one night-stand. They meet again several years later, realizing that it was destiny that brought them together on that first time. Cha Jin Wook is an arrogant and selfish son who comes from a wealthy family that runs a large company. Obviously, he enjoys his privileged life, dating girls as much as he wants. As you might have already guessed, he changes when he meets Lee Yoo Mi, who has never even had a boyfriend before. The episodes of this drama are filled with tons of sweet moments. So, if you have been looking for such series, give it a shot!
- Sung Hoon as Cha Jin-Wook
- Song Ji-Eun as Lee Yoo-Mi
- Kim Jae-Young as Jung Hyun-Tae
- Jung Da-Sol as Joo Hye-Ri
9. To the Beautiful You
If you aren't looking for an endless series with crazy plot twists, this high-school setting youthful drama is just the ticket. To the Beautiful You is based on Japan's Hana Kimi manga series. So if you have already watched the Japanese adaptations, you will certainly be interested in it.
The drama tells the story of an American girl who comes back to her Korean homeland to inspire her favorite athlete to return to competition. She disguises herself as a boy, so that she can enroll at the boys-only boarding school, where she can find her idol. To inspire the athlete is her sole purpose, but the relationship between them blossoms into something more amazing.
- Sulli as Goo Jae-Hee/Jay Dawson
- Choi Min-Ho as Kang Tae-Joon
- Lee Hyun-Woo as Cha Eun-Gyeol
8. Marriage Contract
This melodrama feels warm, heartfelt and engaging, and you will feel easily drawn into characters' emotions and their stories. Marriage Contract is about an unlikely pair — a rich man and a financially-challenged single mom — who sign a mutually beneficial marriage contract. The drama tells us about the importance of family. It teaches us the lesson that the term "family" is defined not by blood but rather support and care about each other.
- Lee Seo-Jin as Han Ji-Hoon
- Uee as Kang Hye-Soo
- Kim Yong-Geon as Han Seong-Gook
- Park Jung-Soo as Yoon Seon-Yeong
- Lee Hwi-Hyang as Oh Mi-Ran
7. Playful Kiss
Here's a K-drama about high school students for those of you who are still looking for a series that will be a pure, heartfelt joy for you. Playful Kiss is a romantic comedy about a girl who ends up living under the same roof with her crush: the smartest, most handsome and popular boy in school. This charming drama follows the relationship of these two students through high school and beyond.
- Kim Hyun-Joong as Baek Seung-Jo
- Jung So-Min as Oh Ha-Ni
- Lee Tae-Sung as Bong Joon-Gu
- Lee Si-Young as Yoon Hae-Ra
6. Boys Over Flowers
Boys Over Flowers tells the story of a girl who attends a prestigious high school, where she draws the affections of several popular boys there. These guys are rich, handsome, and they literally rule the school. The series was originally a Japanese Manga, then it was made into a Japanese drama and animation. This series has become a classic that is required to watch for any fan of Korean dramas.
- Ku Hye-Sun as Geum Jan-Di
- Lee Min-Ho as Gu Jun-Pyo
- Kim Hyun-Joong as Yoon Ji-Hoo
- Kim Bum as So Yi-Jung
- Kim Joon as Song Woo-Bin
5. The Legend of the Blue Sea
Do you remember My Love From the Star, the fantasy melodrama about a centuries-old alien with superpowers and his human girlfriend? The Legend of the Blue Sea is written by the same writer, Park Ji Eun. One more similarity is that they both follow two storylines: one in the modern time and another happening a long time ago. Except Lee Min Ho is not an alien but a regular human, and Jun Jin Hyun is not an actress but a mermaid.
Flashing back to the history, we learn that the human and the mermaid were deeply in love with each other in the past. Yet, they met a tragic end due to the greed of their enemies around them. The drama is set in the present day and tells us about their love story repeating itself. Watch The Legend of the Blue Sea to learn whether they will lose each other again or will remain together despite all the odds.
- Jun Ji-Hyun as Se-Hwa / Shim Chung
- Shin Eun-Soo as teenage Se-Hwa
- Lee Min-Ho as Kim Dam-Ryung / Heo Joon-Jae
- Park Jin-Young as teenage Kim Dam-Ryung / Heo Joon-Jae
4. Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo
This cheerful, sweet and engaging show revolves around the life of weightlifter athletes on a college campus. Kim Bok-Joo can't imagine her life without weightlifting until one day, when she has a crush on a handsome doctor. The girl hides the fact that she´s a weightlifter and even begins to doubt her passion for weightlifting.
Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-Joo may lack a major conflict and crazy plot twists that many viewers expect to see in any today's drama. However, watching this series, you feel as if you are watching college students living their lives while chasing their dreams and getting through many problems.
- Lee Sung-Kyung as Kim Bok-Joo
- Nam Joo-Hyuk as Jung Joon-Hyung
- Lee Jae-Yoon as Jung Jae-Yi
- Kyung Soo-Jin as Song Shi-Ho
3. Secret Love Affair
Thoughtfully written, executed and excellently acted, Secret Love Affair will be an absorbing, immersive watch for you. This k-drama revolves around the relationship of a woman in the prime and a much younger man. It pushes all the boundaries on what we think a couple can look like; nevertheless, we witness how they feel immediately attracted to each other despite the 20 year age gap.
- Kim Hee-Ae as Oh Hye-Won
- Yoo Ah-In as Lee Sun-Jae
- Park Hyuk-Kwon as Kang Joon-Hyung
2. W Two Worlds
Everyone has fallen in love with a fictional character at least once in their lives. Imagine for a moment that you meet that character and get the opportunity to live in his fictional world!
Oh Yeon-Joo's father is writing the popular comic W. So she has grown up reading his fantasy stories. She literally has fallen in love with Kang Chul, the main character. However, the writer's daughter and the handsome guy from the comic are from different worlds. But one day the real and fictional worlds collide. That's when the girl realizes she is pulled into W, as she is watching a man bleeding out from wounds. Wait, is it her favorite character? Evidently, her father decides to finish his book by killing the lead character.
- Lee Jong-Suk as Kang Chul
- Han Hyo-Joo as Oh Yeon-Joo
- Hyun Seung-Min as teen Yeon-Joo
- Park Min-Ha as child Yeon-Joo
1. Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo
If you haven't picked up any historical drama from this list yet, you might want to choose Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo. The story of this K-drama centers on a 21st-century woman who lives a regular life but whose life has changed tremendously after she almost drowned saving others. That time a solar eclipse takes place. So, magic happens and she survives, but now she is in the body of Hae Soo (the cousin of the 8th prince's wife).
The girl realizes soon that she is not going to have her normal life again, as she has traveled back in time to Goryeo Dynasty. However, she is still a 21st-century woman, so she can't imagine what to expect from the new life.
- Lee Joon-Gi as 4th Prince Wang So
- Lee Ji-Eun as Go Ha-Jin / Hae Soo
- Kang Ha-Neul as 8th Prince Wang Wook
- Hong Jong-Hyun as 3rd Prince Wang Yo
- The 30 Best Korean Historical Dramas
- Top 10 Most Popular and Handsome Korean Drama Actors
- Top 10 Most Successful and Beautiful Korean Drama Ac...
- 15 Best Korean Dramas You Should Watch
- 14 Popular Romantic K-Dramas You Must Watch
- Top 12 Korean Dramas for Your TV Binge
- 10 Best Short K-Dramas You Can Binge Watch in One We...