Trivia Quiz: Cold, Snow and Winter in Movies
For my last Hub I posted a trivia quiz about winter things dealing with the literary world. I usually only post a quiz once a month, but as some folks have said they enjoyed it very much and asked for another one I thought why not oblige? And since the weather is still bitingly bitter, I thought an appropriate subject for this one would be movies dealing with cold and winter.
If you would like to play along, the rules are easy: get out paper and pen or pencil. Number your paper 1-21, then proceed to the Questions segment of this page. Read each individual question and choose an answer from among the possible four provided for each. Mark your selected answer on the paper and proceed to next question. Answers are found below the Questions segment.
Scoring: The first 20 correctly answered questions are worth 10 points each. The correctly answered BONUS QUESTION (#21) is worth 100 points - making for a possible 300 points final score.
As always, good luck on the quiz and I hope you have fun!
1. In the 1997 full-length animated film, Anastasia, Rasputin wants Anya to do what?
b. marry him
c. denounce royalty and become a good Communist
d. shave his back hair
2. In the movie, The Grey (2011), survivors of a plane crash are pursued by what in the frozen Alaskan wilderness?
a. a pack of starving wolves
b. a pair of murderous pelt collectors
c. a herd of rabid polar bears
d. a village of horny Eskimos
3. In the crime thriller, Fargo (1996), William H. Macy plays a cash-strapped car dealer that comes up with an underhanded scheme to get money out of his wealthy father-in-law. What does his scheme involve?
a. threatening to expose the father-in-law’s former career as a porn actor
b. kidnapping his own wife for ransom
c. feigning a life-threatening illness
d. obtaining control of his father-in-law’s bank account after promising to share the inheritance left by an affluent Nigerian relative
4. Which of these disaster films used the belief in man-made climate change as the plot catalyst?
c. The Day After Tomorrow
d. Beach Blanket Bingo
5. Brokeback Mountain (2005) is a romance about what?
a. the forbidden love between two cowboys
b. the forbidden love between a cowboy and a jockey
c. the forbidden love between a jockey and a gymnast
d. the forbidden love between two cowboys, a jockey, a gymnast and a worn-out mattress called Brokeback Mountain
6. In The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe (2005), four children travel to Narnia to help a lion do what?
a. to free the land from the grasp of an evil witch
b. to free his people from a sorcerer’s enchantment
c. to free his countrymen from a dragon
d. to help clear the good name of his much maligned father, Scar
7. In Misery(1990), James Caan portrays a novelist kidnapped and tortured by whom?
a. his disgruntled publisher
b. a disgruntled and obsessed fan
c. a disgruntled book reviewer
d. a disgruntled Stephen King
8. In Frozen River(2008), two single mothers find themselves caught up in a controversial trade. What is it?
a. smuggling illegal immigrants across the border
b. capturing American Bald Eagles for private collectors
c. the improper disposal of hazardous waste
d. selling marked cartons of Not For Resale milk products to the lactose intolerant
9. In North to Alaska (1960), Sam leaves cold Nome, Alaska and sets out for Seattle so he can bring back what to his friend George?
a. a promising new medical treatment
b. George’s fiancé
c. George’s three orphaned grandchildren
d. a snow cone maker
10. In the holiday classic, It’s A Wonderful Life (1946), the sleazy, moral-depleted city of Pottersville was founded by whom?
a. a slumlord and loan tycoon from Bedford Falls
b. an underhanded land developer from Detroit
c. an industrialist from Sioux Falls
d. a power-hungry young wizard from Hogwarts
11. In Whiteout (2009) Kate Beckinsale plays a U.S. Marshall trying to track down what in the frigid tundra of Antarctica?
a. a fanatical terrorist
b. a murderer
c. a drug trafficker
d. a hot meal
12. In The Shining (1980), young Danny escapes the haunted Overlook Hotel in the dead of winter to elude his axe-wielding, demented father. In order to stay safe Danny runs into what outside?
a. a Mack truck doing about 68 mph
b. an underpass entrance painted on the side of a rock by a friendly coyote
c. the tender, warm arms of Satan
d. a confusing, snow-laden maze he has no realistic hope of surviving the night in
13. In Snow Dogs(2002), a dentist inherits what from his mother?
a. a litter of rare albino hounds
b. a team of sled dogs
c. a famed but cursed painting by a reclusive artist
d. her crippling phobia of puppies
14. In the horror/suspense film, Let Me In(1010), the movie audience is clued in that there is something unusual about the new kid in the neighborhood when she does what?
a. she answers questions before they are asked
b. she walks barefoot in the snow
c. glass Christmas ornaments pop and shatter when she comes around
d. when she makes snow angels they scream on the smoldering ground
15. In the Russian romance/fantasy, Father Frost(1965), the handsome and extremely vain Igor is turned into a half-WHAT by a mushroom pixie?
a. a half-bear
b. a half-tiger
c. a half-wolf
d. a half-decent-excuse-for-a-midnight-snack
16. In Star Trek (2009), James Kirk discovers who on the snowy terrain of Delta Vega?
a. the “elder” Spock who was pulled into this Kirk’s universe via a black hole
b Captain Jean-Luc Picard who is on the chase of a madman seeking to get into the Nexus
c. a jolly old Klingon driving a sleigh pulled by eight voluptuous naked green women
d. Data the android, carrying a flask of whiskey on his collar and Kirk’s favorite pair of slippers in his mouth
17. In the uplifting family film, Blizzard (2003), a young ice skater gains confidence and her family survives hard times when they are helped by whom?
a. a frost giant
b. one of Santa’s reindeers
c. a team of ice skating Harley bikers
d. a band of soul-sucking death wraiths employed by the Shire Tax Service Agency
18. In Dead Snow (2009), a ski vacation turns into a living nightmare for a group of medical students that come face to face with what kind of zombies?
a. lost hikers
b. ski lift operators
d. Reddit users
19. In Die Hard(1988), Bruce Willis plays a cop put into the position of stopping the plans of heavily-armed thieves on Christmas Eve. What is it the thieves are attempting to steal?
a. gold bars worth $500 million
b. $640 million worth of bearer bonds
c. a collection of over 10,000 ancient and rare coins
d. KFC’s original recipe
20. In Black Robe(1991), Algonquin Indians escort a group of Jesuit priests through Quebec’s frigid winter wilderness in search of what?
a. a Catholic mission
b. the reputed prayer robe of Saint Joan of Arc
c. the legendary quill pen of Saint Antoine Daniel of Ontario
d. the miraculous spittoon of Saint Dip of Copenhagen
21. – BONUS QUESTION
The 2005 horror film, Ice Queen, is about what?
a. A dangerous Ice Age creature threatens mankind when it is awakened out of a cryogenic state by a group of bumbling mercenaries and bickering scientists
b. A crashed plane causes an avalanche that buries an entire town
c. A guy has a hot tub rendezvous with two bimbos while his fickle girl friend watches
d. All of the above
Answers are found under the photo!
1. a. die
2. a. a pack of starving wolves
3. b. kidnapping his own wife for ransom
4. c. The Day After Tomorrow
5. a. the forbidden love between two cowboys
6. a. to free the land from the grasp of an evil witch
7. b. a disgruntled and obsessed fan
8. a. smuggling illegal immigrants across the border
9. b. George’s fiancé
10. a. a slumlord and loan tycoon from Bedford Falls
11. b. a murderer
12. d. a confusing, snow-laden maze he has no realistic hope of surviving the night in
13. b. a team of sled dogs
14. b. she walks barefoot in the snow
15. a. a half-bear
16. a. the “elder” Spock who was pulled into this Kirk’s universe via a black hole
17. b. one of Santa’s reindeers
18. c. Nazis
19. b. $640 million worth of bearer bonds
20. a. a Catholic mission
21. – BONUS QUESTION - d. All of the above