Jeremy hopes the Force is with him as he pursues a forensics career in the swamps of Louisiana.
Star Wars Warriors
A lifelong Star Wars fan, I've been debating for years which champions of the Force reigned supreme. Who could out-duel all others? Obi-Wan? Vader? Jar-Jar? Alright, not him, but today we'll take a comprehensive look at the first two trilogies and cite evidence to support each character's approximate power. Let's get started!
It's a trap! (spoilers ahead)
6. Count Dooku
The former Jedi Master of Qui-Gon Jinn heads our list in the sixth spot. Admittedly, many consider Dooku bland compared to other Sith, but few can deny his fearsome dueling abilities. Here's a quick glance at his accomplishments:
- Fought three Jedi back-to-back in Episode 2, defeated Obi-Wan and Anakin and held his own against Yoda.
- Dueled Obi-Wan and Anakin at the same time while they were in their prime (Episode 3) and managed to knock Kenobi out.
Dooku's mastery of Form 2, Makashi, allowed him to keep up with (and often beat) much younger and more agile Jedi.
Trivia: What was the final straw in Dooku's decision to leave the Jedi?
Qui-Gon Jinn's death.
5. Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan's a tough character to rate, being out-dueled by Maul and Dooku, yet many fans underestimate his prowess. Here's some evidence:
- Fought as well as (perhaps even better than) Jedi Master Qui-Gon against Darth Maul in Episode 1, despite only being a Padawan.
- Out-dueled General Grievous in Episode 3 without much difficulty.
- Overcame Anakin Skywalker in his prime, again in Episode 3.
- Evenly fought with Darth Vader in Episode 4.
Some fans dismiss him, citing Kenobi's poor performances against Dooku, but I'd argue those are largely due to poor form matching (Dooku's Makashi works great against Obi-Wan's Soresu). Plus, plot convenience; Obi-Wan needed to be unconscious for Palpatine to convince Anakin to execute Dooku.
Trivia: What Form did Kenobi practice before Soresu?
Form 4, Ataru. He switched after seeing its weaknesses when Qui-Gon fell to Maul.
4. Anakin Skywalker/ Darth Vader
As the Chosen One, Anakin Skywalker learned the ways of the Force faster than any Jedi, but the loss of many limbs prevented him from ever achieving his full potential. Still, Skywalker/ Vader was a menacing and powerful warrior. Let's take a look:
- Held his own against the much more experienced Count Dooku in Episode 2, despite being a Padawan of only 19.
- Three years later, in the next episode, defeated Dooku.
- Nearly defeated Obi-Wan in Revenge of the Sith, again despite his youth.
Anakin would place much higher had he not lost many of his midi-chlorians and ability to channel the Force; George Lucas declared he would have become twice as powerful as the Emperor. Speaking of which...
Trivia: How many films does Anakin lose at least one limb in?
Three (Episodes 2, 3, and 6).
Read More From Reelrundown
3. Darth Sidious
You could argue the position of the last three members of this list for weeks and never arrive at a definitive conclusion. I find Sidious the weakest of them (but still incredibly powerful). Here's why:
- Very quickly dispatched three Jedi Masters in ROTS, but soon lost to Mace Windu
- Later, in the same film, evenly fought with Yoda.
Some believed Sidious purposefully lost against Windu, but George Lucas denied this, saying Windu actually overcame him. Sidious also appeared afraid to face Yoda, even trying to flee the fight, before realizing the Jedi's old age was slowing him.
Trivia: What was the name of Palpatine's Sith Master?
Grand Master of the Jedi, Yoda served the Republic for centuries and proved that not all Force users must die in battle. He brandished the agile Form 4, Ataru, to compensate for his old age, and demonstrated incredibly dueling abilities:
- Forced (hardy har) Dooku to flee their duel in Attack of the Clones.
- Fought to a draw against Sidious in Revenge of the Sith.
As impressive with the Force as with a blade, Yoda was the pride of the Jedi. I wish we could see him at his prime, whenever that was. Age 300? Your guess is as good as mine.
Trivia: What was the name of the female Jedi who shares Yoda's species we briefly see in Episode 1?
1. Mace Windu
Though I disagree with Mace Windu on several issues (learn all about him here), he's undoubtedly devastating in combat.
He created his own lethal form, Vaapad, to channel the Dark Side while remaining in the Light, and also mastered the rare skill Shatterpoint. A rehash of his one duel:
- Windu narrowly defeated Sidious, the only character to do so in the movies.
Basically, Windu's distinct purple blade showcases the strongest character we encounter in the first six movies.
Trivia: Here's a tough one. Which planet is Mace from?
With so many fearsome characters, it wasn't easy thinning the list to six, and I'm looking forward to encountering more awesome warriors in future movies.
For now, vote for your pick, feel free to read this review of Rogue One (trust me, it's a great film), and may the Force be with you!
unnamed on August 13, 2020:
Dooku should be higher.
Joseph Hendrickson from Maple Valley,WA SE on June 13, 2019:
HOW AM I IN 4TH!?! ok my LIst
2. Darth Sidious
4. Obi Wan
5. Mace Windu
McP on December 06, 2018:
1. Grandmaser Yoda - equal to Sidious in terms of Force powers and superior with blade, actually the finest duelist in the whole Saga.
2. Darth Sidious - one of the top duelist and the beast in terms of Force powers.
3. Anakin Skywalker - destroyed Count Dooku and Jedi in the Temple. Lost to Obi-Wan mostly becouse of his terrible mmental state.
4. Count Dooku - equal, slightly inferior or superior to Mace with a blade, both were considered as Yoda's inferiors. Probably superior to Mace in terms of Force powers.
5. Mace Windu - According to AotC creators, he was second only to Yoda in the Order during AotC in terms of swordsemnship. According to Gillard, he was a level 8 bordering a level 9 in terms of swordmanship. Yoda, Sidious, Anakin were 9. Anakin wasn't ready to be 9, while Yoda was the only guy who reached 9, without using the dark side (either Sidious, Mace, Anakin needed that).
6. Obi-Wan Kenobi - defeated Maul, but was inferior to him in their fight; defeated Grievous, defeated Anakin after a hell of a fight, due to being smarter and lost twice to Count Dooku, while being supported by Anakin.
sinon on January 04, 2017:
I say Ben canobie or obi one