Classic Personality Posters of the 1970s and 1980s
Whose Pin-up Poster Graced Your Walls?
The 70's saw a boost in the interest in personality pin up posters thanks to the mega success of Farrah Fawcett's red bikini poster from 1976. Her pose, showing off her beautiful smile and the hairstyle that would become one of the most famous of all time, sold a record 7 million units (I have seen the figure listed as 11 million in some sources) and was most certainly the best selling personality poster of all time.
This page is an attempt to walk down memory lane and to see once more (or for the first time in some instances) some of these wonderful posters from the 70s and 80s. Along with Farrah, you will find poses from such 70s beauties as Lynda Carter, Cheryl Ladd, Jaclyn Smith and more. Oh, and we can't forget the handsome actors who had their own poses, too like Dirk Benedict and Shaun Cassidy.
So, let's get on with the show, shall we.
Susan Anton's Red Bikini Pose
- Susan gained attention when she was hired to be spokes model for Muriel Cigars and Serta Mattresses.
- She is a former Miss California and was a runner up in the Miss America pageant in 1970.
- She appeared 30 times on the Merv Griffin Show and 10 times on The Tonight Show.
- Popular enough for Pro Arts to take an interest in her and to produce at least four posters, one of which is highlighted here. The red bikini, blond hair and bright vibrant smile, might have had some thinking about Farrah's pose and maybe that is what Pro Arts was hoping for, another mega selling poster. Susan received 5% for every poster sold and she considered posters wonderful exposure for her career.
- She was cast in the very short-lived show called Cliffhangers, which was an attempt to bring back the old time concept of a serial; a show that relied on a continuing plot week after week and usually ended each segment with a cliffhanger. The series didn't fare well with fans and was cancelled.
- She did a duet with singer Fred Knoblock in 1980 that went to number 10 on the US Country music chart.
Ann-Margret's 1978 Pro Arts Poster!
- This is a lovely pose of Ann taken by photographer Harry Langdon. He has a very special way of bringing out the beauty in every woman he has ever photographed. This poster, released through Pro Arts in 1978 is #14-608.
- In 1972, Ann suffered a near fatal accident when she fell 22 feet from a platform above a stage at the Tahoe Sahara Hotel. She have five fractures on the left side of her face,broke her jaw and her left arm.
- While I admit that I had never really heard too much about Ann-Margret as a kid when this poster was released, I saw the pose at my local department store and fell in love with it and added it to my collection.
Loni Anderson's White Bikini Poster!
- Loni had at least 2 solo poster poses and one with Lynda Carter when the two paired up for the short lived series Partners in Crime.
- Loni began entering beauty contests at age 14 and winning them! She was a runner up in the Miss Minnesota pageant when she was 18, which was her last pageant.
- When Loni was 13 years old she was injured in a car accident. Her right knee was shattered, she had to have an operation on her eye and the inside of her mouth. She had to have two operations on her knee. She still can't run, it causes her knee to collapse. At 23 she was involved in another car accident that required surgery on her right thigh, her right arm and her neck.
- Loni went to the University of Minnesota and earned after graduation, earned a living as a teacher.
- Her hair color is jet black and she does an every other week hair treatment to keep her hair blonde.
- Anderson made a name for herself in the sitcom WKRP in Cincinnati that ran from 1978 to 82. Her character, Jennifer Marlowe, worked as the radio station receptionist and the writers and producers actually allowed this blond lovely to have a brain. So many other blond stars of the day were required to play nothing but bimbos and vacuous blondes, with one example being Suzanne Somer's portrayal of Chrissy Snow on Three's Company. Her character went from being sweet and naïve to being a downright twit.
- Loni did make tabloid headlines when she and Burt Reynolds divorced in 1993 after a five year marriage.
Adrienne Barbeau's Popular and Rare Purple Lingerie Poster!
- Adrienne made a name for herself in the 70s playing Carol Traynor, on the series Maude starring Bea Arthur. She was married to horror film director John Carpenter (they divorced in 1984) and she starred in the cult favorite film, The Fog (directed by Carpenter). She also has a large bust, like that of Dolly Parton.
- In 1978, a very nice poster of Adrienne was released through Still Growing and it sold well. The photographer was David Alexander and it's stock # 3594. The pose was used on the cover of Adrienne's autobiography There Are Worse Things I Could Do.
- Another poster of Adrienne was released through Pro Arts for the film Cannonball Run, but seems to be one of the rarer posters to find.
70's Male Teen Idol Dirk Benedict Releases a Poster
- Dirk was a 70s teen idol thanks to his work in the sci fi series Battlestar Galactica in which he played Starbuck. He also had a starring role in a cult sci fi horror film called Sssssss about a lab assistant who gets turned into a snake.
- Dirk also is more than just a pretty face, he is a successful author having written several well received books Confessions of a Kamikaze Cowboy: A True Story of Discovery, Acting, Health, Illness, Recovery, and Life and And Then We Went Fishing: A Story of Fatherhood, Fate and Forgiveness.
- There are at least three poses of Dirk available, including the one featured here. All are Pro Arts issues and you really don't see them offered for sale on Ebay that often. Pity, because Dirk certainly was nice to look at.
Lynda Carter's 1978 Belly Button Poster
- Lynda gained her fame starring as Wonder Woman in the classic 70s TV series. She was a teen idol with lots of write-ups in teen magazines and she was a popular poster queen as well.
- There are at least three posters of Lynda released by Pro Arts and a few poses of her as her character Wonder Woman from other poster companies as well.
- Lynda's 1978 belly button pose was Pro Arts best selling poster for that year. It also graced the back cover of her first solo album, Portrait.
- Lynda wasn't a big fan of posing for posters and didn't particularly care for the idea of having her photos and posters tacked up on walls in men's bathrooms and such. She hated the idea of being thought of as merely a sexual object.
Singing 70s Teen Idol Shaun Cassidy Gets a Poster
- Shaun is the half brother to 70s teen idol David Cassidy. Shaun gained his teen idol status when he starred as Joe Hardy on the series The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries. He also had several hit singles, too.
- Shaun hasn't done much acting in recent years, instead turning his attention to writing and producing. He wrote and produced the cult fan favorite television series, American Gothic that ran for one season in 1995.
- Shaun had several posters on the market, solo poses as well as several with his Hardy Boys co star Parker Stevenson. The pose featured in this paragraph is from 1978 and is title Shaun Jacket. Pro Arts was also so clever with the way they named their posters. :)This pose is catalog # 14-574.
Bond Girl Barbara Carrera Has a Nice Poster
- Nicaraguan born, Barbara is a former model who has graced the covers of over 300 magazines and turned to acting in 1970 when she made her debut in the film Puzzle of A Downfall Child. But, even though that title may be a bit obscure, one that is perhaps more well known is her work in the James Bond film, Never Say Never. Again with Sean Connery. She was Bond Girl Fatima Blush in that film.
- I believe this poster is from 1977 and may also be from a Playboy photo shoot. It is a Pro Arts release and is catalog # 14-602. There is at least one other nice poster of Barbara out there.
- Was reportedly offered $250,000 to replace Kate Jackson on Charlie's Angels.
- Closely guards her private life because she wants her work as an actress to be front and center.
Charlie's Angels Second Season Poster
- This poster is from the second season of Charlie's Angels and it shows of lovely Cheryl Ladd who replaced Farrah Fawcett after she left the series for bigger and better things. Cheryl became a poster queen during the 70s, as well as a teen idol. Cheryl would stay with the series for it's entire run.
- There are at least three Charlie's Angles posters that I can think of at this moment (although, I suspect there may be more that are rather rare and not seen often). From the first season with the original trio, the second season with Cheryl as shown here, and from the season with Shelley Hack.
Peter Criss of KISS
- There are lots of posters available of KISS throughout their career. and in 1978, when they had the idea for each member (Peter, Paul, Gene and Ace) to release solo albums, the covers had really great images on each one.
- This poster is the image found on Peter's solo venture and I think it is awesome. Maybe I am just partial to cats, or something.
- I did have three of the four albums (Gene, Paul and Ace) and missed out on Peter's. I admit I like Gene's the best, but Peter, after hearing a few sound samples just might make me rethink that stance!
- One thing is for certain, this pose and those other three are hard to find but would be welcome additions to any poster collection, I would think!
Cathy Lee Crosby is Pretty in Red
- Cathy Lee has two posters on the market, this lovely red bikini pose (maybe all these lovely ladies were hoping for a mega selling poster like Farrah's, or maybe the color red just happens to photography nicely, I don't know.) and another that looks more like an ad for a piece of exercise equipment, but it's still nice.
- Cathy Lee, starred in a campy television movie in 1974 that was the pilot for the series Wonder Woman that would eventually star Lynda Carter in the role. Cathy's Wonder Woman bore little resemblance to the comic book character so many of us had grown to love. Missing was the red white and blue outfit and this Wonder Woman had very little super powers, it was safe to say there was nothing very wondrous about this Wonder Woman. But, not to be nasty to Cathy, she did the best with what she was given to work with. Thankfully, the network saw the movie and decided that it needed more work, so they revamped it and gave us the Lynda Carter version which has become a 70s classic TV series.
Rare Bo Derek Bikini Pose
- This beach pose of Bo is one of the rarer posters available of the world's most popular 10. This pose, snapped by the camera of hubby John Derek was released in 1980. Bo is wearing a leather bikini that many clothes designing companies tried to take credit for creating, but it was a John Derek original, made especially for her by him.
- In 2002, Bo released her autobiography "Riding Lessons: Everything That Matters in Life I Learned from Horses". It's a nice tame book by many standards, she doesn't dish the dirt or get to into detail about her life with John, but it is still a nice glimpse into the life of a woman who was treated horribly by the press as being nothing but a bimbo puppet manipulated totally by her domineering husband John.
Morgan Fairchild's Leopard Print Bikini Pose
- Photographer Harry Langdon has done it again with this pose of Morgan.Simply beautiful! This is a Pro Arts release from 1981 titled Morgan. It is catalog # 14-067.
- Of course, Morgan is probably best remembered as playing mega bitch Constance Carlyle in the nighttime soap Flamingo Road that last for two seasons (May 12, 1980 – May 4, 1982). It's a shame that this lovely lady didn't have more posters to her credit.
- Many women have attributes that stand out and gain attention for Morgan it has been her nose! That's right, many a time she has been accused of having had plastic surgery to achieve her cute small turned up nose!
One of Several Lovely Lola Falana Posters!
- Lola began her career in 1964 working with Sammy Davis, Jr in his 1964 Broadway musical, Golden Boy. Her first movie role was the 1966 film A Man Called Adam. She began to work in Italian cinema in the late 60s and made three films that were popular enough for her to earn the nickname, The Black Venus. In 1969, she broke off her working relationship with Sammy because she didn't want to be known solely as the dancer who worked for him. She wanted to branch out on her own and try new things. .
- She won a Golden Globe nomination as New Star of the Year, Female for her work in the 1970 film The Liberation of L.B. Jones, but she lost to Carrie Snodgrass for her work in Diary of a Mad Housewife. Lola was busy during the 70s making guest appearances on popular shows and even having her own specials, too.
- In 1989 she was diagnose with multiple sclerosis.
- Lovely Lola also had a poster release in 1977 titled Lola by the good folks at Pro Arts.
Farrah Fawcett's Flower Poster
- With the popularity of Farrah Fawcett during the 70's it certainly was understandable as to why she had so many poses on the market. This poster, from 1977 is a Pro Arts release and titled Farrah Flower, seems appropriate right?
- I am not certain in what order her posters were released, I just know that the red bikini pose was first.
- This is the first Farrah poster I ever purchased. I remember spending $2.50 each for them (well, you had to add tax, to that, but I digress).
Handsome Gregory Harrison's For Ladies Only Poster!
- Decided that he didn't want to take over the glass bottom boat business that had been in his family for three generations.
- Harrison's grandfather died in a boating accident in 1924.
- Gregory Harrison made a name for himself on the series Trapper John, M.D. as Dr. George Alonzo "Gonzo" Gates. The show ran on CBS from 1979 to 1985.
- In 1981, he made the television movie For Ladies Only, the story of a male stripper. Gregory had several poster poses on the market as his character from the movie. It made him popular with the ladies (and men, too).
- The poster is from 1981 and is from Starmakers Posters. The catalog # is 2090.
Lovely Simple Pose of Kate Jackson
- When Kate was 22 years old, she was cast as nurse Jill Danko in the series The Rookies.
- Prior to that, she was cast a ghost Daphne Harridge in the series Dark Shadows. For the first two months, her character never spoke one word.
- Kate Jackson's character of Sabrina Duncan, on Charlie's Angles was never shown off as being one of the "sexy" angels and Jackson reportedly liked it that way believing the show's story lines and the acting should be what made it (and actresses) stand out.
- This pose is from 1977 and a Pro Arts issue titled "Kate" and is #14-514. Kate had at least two other solo posters on the market and several along with her co-stars from Charlie's Angels.
- Left the series Charlie's Angles when she was offered and couldn't accept the the role of Joanna Kramer in the feature film Kramer Vs Kramer. The shooting schedule on the show could not be rearranged so she could take the role. It eventually went to Meryl Streep who won an Oscar for her work.
Cheryl Ladd's Lovely Yellow Shirt Poster
- Cheryl was a teen idol thanks to her work in the series Charlie's Angels. She came onto the show during the second season when she replaced Farrah who had left to go onto bigger and better things. Cheryl's character was Chris Munroe, little sister to Jill (Farrah). It was a brilliant casting on the part of the producers, to have Jill's little sister come onto the scene, I mean who could hate Farrah's little "sister".
- It wasn't long until Cheryl was having posters on the market. She had a multitude of poses released through Pro Arts, and a few with her Angel's costars through other companies as well.
- This particular pose is actually the second edition and the one you see most often when you look on Ebay. The first edition showed the top of her red shorts, they pulled that from the market, cropped out the red shorts and released it again.
Happy Day's Erin Moran Makes a Lovely Cowgirl
- This 1981 poster of Erin from Pro Arts, is certainly not the kind of pose associated with everyone's favorite little sister.
- Erin played Joannie Cunningham on Happy Days, younger sister to Richie (Ron Howard) and stayed with that show until 1982, when she, along with Scott Baio were given their own series, Joannie Love Chaci. When that show was cancelled she returned to Happy Days.
- Refused to do the Happy Days Reunion movie in 1992 because she had shunned the spotlight for years. But, she also made a series of rather bizarre statements to a reporter for People magazine saying that the cast of Happy Days was evil and that the US government had plans to hook citizens on drugs. Go figger.
- Sadly, Erin passed away on April 22, 2017 after a battle with throat cancer.
Jaclyn Smith Looks Lovely in White
- Jaclyn's career was made on her portrayal of Kelly Garrett on the show Charlie's Angels. Her character was a cross between Jill and Sabrina in that she was athletic and smart. She remained with the series from start to finish.
- Some have said that Jaclyn was really the most beautiful Angel, but I think that all three (and the others to come) were all beautiful in their own way.
- This Pro Arts pose is from 1977 and is titled Jaclyn and is # 14-515 .
- Jaclyn also has a few poses released through Bi-Rite as well.
Suzanne Somers as Chrissy Snow Poster
- The role that made her a star, Chrissy Snow on Three's Company. She went from being a sweet and naïve blond to a total vacuous blond bimbo, but hey it got the ratings, right?
- Decided to ask for a huge pay raise, believing that she was the star of the show and the reason viewers were turning in. Producers didn't agree and promptly cut her screen time before booting her from the show permanently.
- Somers had numerous posters on the market, some like this one produced by Dargis Associates in 1977 and a few other produced by our friends at Pro Arts.
Philip Michael Thomas of Miami Vice
- Philip made a name for himself when he won the role of Ricardo "Rico" Tubbs in one of the most successful cop series of the 80's, Miami Vice. The show ran for five years making stars out of both Don Johnson and Philip. The show was unlike any other cop drama that had aired before it, it made use of pop and rock music from singers like Tina Turner, Phi Collins, Sheena Easton, Ted Nugent. It also helped to set fashion trends and invented the concept of wearing a T-shirt under Armani jacket.
- Although there are several posters of Philip on the market in the 80's as his TV alter-ego, I think this pose from Starmakers, released in 1986 is the nicest of the bunch.
Model Cheryl Tiegs Second 70s Poster
- At 17 she was gracing the covers of popular magazines like Glamor, Seventeen, Vogue.
- She was the first model to appear three times on the cover of Sports Illustrated and she made the cover of Time three times, too.
- This 1978 Pro Arts pose of Cheryl has been rumored to have rivaled sales of Farrah's classic pose, although I have never really seen any figures to prove that.
- This is #14-591 titled Ms. Tiegs from 1978 and was released by Pro Arts, Inc.
- This is the second Tiegs poster released by Pro Arts, another, from a year earlier had her wearing a red top. I can't decide which of the two is my favorite.
Ann Turkel's Nice Bikini Poster
- Ann stated out acting in summer stock theater and when the editors of Vogue magazine spotted her, she turned her attention toward modeling and soon became one of the most sought after models in the industry.
- In 1974, she decided to give acting another try to quit her high paying career. She got a role in the film 99 and 44/100% Dead, co starring Richard Harris with whom she fell in love with and married in 1974. The couple remained together until they divorced in 1982.
- This 23 x 34 pose of Ann from Starmakers Publishing Corporation is from 1984 and there is at least one other pose of Ann out there, if you can find it!
Lindsay Wagner's Pro Arts Pose
- Before she made a name for herself as an actress, Lindsay, like many actresses before her started out as a model. She hated it and is often quoted as saying how it made her feel like a piece of meat.
- Her acting career took an upswing when she was cast as on an episode of The Six Million Dollar Man. She was Steve Austin's childhood sweetheart, the woman he wanted to marry but she died in a parachuting accident. Viewers were so outraged over her death that producers brought her back to life (she never died, she was merely in a coma) and gave her her own series, The Bionic Woman. It debuted on ABC in January 1976 on ABC and ran for two seasons there and was picked up for it's final season at NBC in 1978.
- This pose, a 1976 Pro Arts issue is 20 x 28 and is #14-523 and titled "Sommers". Compared to other popular actresses around the same time, there aren't a lot of posters of Lindsay. possibly two others that I can think of, but they are harder to find than the one shown here.