I've been an online writer for over eight years. I love helping people feel more comfortable in their own skin!
Being a Celebrity Has its Ups and Downs
Being a celebrity or simply being famous has its own advantages and disadvantages. The common perception is that celebrities and famous personalities have everything in life. After all, the grass is always greener on the other side, isn't it?
The truth is that there are as many downsides and disadvantages of being a celebrity as there are the number of benefits. Who said being famous was always fun? Decide for yourself—read on in this article for five advantages and five disadvantages of being a celebrity.
Five Major Advantages of Being a Celebrity
1. Celebrities get special treatment wherever they go. It is a no-brainer to assume that someone like Selena Gomez or Justin Bieber will get preferential treatment over other customers at a restaurant, don't you think? From special seats at theaters to special tables at restaurants, celebrities are given the advantage of being the preferred customers everywhere they go. Wouldn't you love it if you were given preferred entry at nightclubs, or given the first row seats at award functions? Of course you would—that is exactly why this perk of being famous is just too tempting.
2. Being famous generally means being richer. One of the very obvious advantages of being famous is that fame generally brings lots of fortune. Celebrities and other famous people are generally richer than the average Joe. Luxurious homes and cars, fancy gifts, expensive clothes, and other such materialistic pleasures of life convert from a dream to a reality when people become famous celebrities. Forget homes—celebrities are also known to own entire islands. If you have a single ounce of doubt whether celebrities are actually rich, check out an episode of MTV Cribs, and all your doubts will magically disappear. In particular, watch the episode which showcases the home, cars, and lifestyle of 50 Cent.
One of the Many Advantages of Being Paris Hilton
3. Celebrities are recognized everywhere they go. Celebrities are recognized everywhere they go. This is an advantage because people often experience a massive ego boost when random bystanders recognize them. It can be a great opportunity to boast to a friend and say: "Gee, I'm so famous. Everyone recognizes me." Most seasoned celebrities get over this initial ego boost quickly, of course. However, being recognized, spotted, and pictured is quite a rush and a nice massage to the egos of some famous people, still.
4. Celebrities and famous people have fans. Fans are the people who adore their celebrity idols. They can have celebrity crushes or even real-life admiration for their idols. Fan mail and other forms of appreciation that celebrities receive can be inspirational, motivational, and very humbling. After all, who wouldn't like to have their own fans, followers, and worshipers?
5. Many opportunities arise when people become famous. When people become famous, more opportunities arise in life, whether they are career-related or not. For example, someone like Michael Jordan made a living not only from playing ball. He was also the face of Nike and promoted many other brands. Also, someone like Kim Kardashian can afford to delve into newer businesses like fashion apparel and perfumes simply because she is famous and can afford to sustain and promote them. Being famous definitely opens many doors in life which would have remained shut had fame not been achieved. Many celebrities tend to embark upon the entrepreneurship path as soon as they achieve stardom. After all, if Kim Kardashian can reportedly charge in upwards of $8,000 for doing nothing but sending one tweet from her Twitter account, then anything is possible!
Five Major Disadvantages of Being a Celebrity
1. Famous people can't do things that the average person can. What do you think would happen if Paris Hilton walked down to the supermarket on a regular day? She would be mobbed and hounded for autographs and pictures. Celebrities and other famous people cannot lead the lives of normal people. They may be forced to live in their own little secluded world, and will generally be unable to do things that the average Joe can. This disadvantage of being famous can stop celebrities from indulging in the little pleasures of life, which can be very frustrating indeed. Some of these simple pleasures of life include:
- Playing ball at the neighborhood playground
- Going shopping at the grocery store
- Going for an uninterrupted walk or a bicycle ride on the beach
- Lying on the beach without being mobbed on a sunny day
- Sitting on the park bench and reading a book without being asked "Can I take a picture of you?"
- Have a quiet dinner with family at the local restaurant
2. Being famous or a celebrity can attract stalkers. We've all heard about those nasty cases of celebrity stalking that have gone out of control. Famous people are often followed or harassed by phone, email, or mail by fans or followers who cross the line and become obsessed. Obsession can turn into threats and even physical harm.
3. A celebrity status can attract too many fake friends. From a celebrity's perspective, it'd become very hard to separate a genuine person who wants to be friends from many of the million wannabe friends who may want to befriend them for personal gain. As one would imagine, it'd be a nerve-wracking experience to scrutinize each and every individual that comes into their lives. It would literally translate to being on-guard every single hour, minute, and second of the day.
4. People constantly judge celebrities. Tabloids, magazines, newspapers, blogs, and other forms of media constantly judge celebrities on their personalities, habits, bodies, and a lot more. Reading demeaning, rude, nasty, insulting, and derogatory lies about one's own self is a part and parcel of a celebrity's daily routine. From a layperson's point of view, it's like having a million people talk behind your back on a daily basis. Imagine how hard-hitting this would it be if a tabloid talked about how fat you are or how sleazy you are.
Read More From Reelrundown
5. Celebrities have no privacy. If Kim Kardashian wears a bikini and steps out on the beaches of Miami to catch some sun, the entire world is going to know about it. If Arnold Schwarzenegger heads out for a ride on his motorcycle on a sunny day, pictures of him are going to be splashed in the tabloids. If Paris Hilton and her beau have an argument or a fight in a nightclub, the whole world will know about it. Get the point? Lack of privacy is one of the biggest disadvantages of being a celebrity.
Dan Foolish on August 22, 2020:
Receiving a massive ego boost when people recognize you is actually a disadvantage in my eyes...
Ihasanameuwannaknow on June 14, 2020:
famous people have stalkers... sometimes.
Sara on May 28, 2020:
@Boghos L. Artinian MD
That's flipping beautiful.
Boghos L. Artinian MD on May 15, 2020:
Fine essays off-hand rejected
Oft made him sad and dejected;
Now he is worried, his rubbish,
They would soon dig out and publish!
James Portland on May 13, 2020:
I would just want to be rich: “With fame is fortune.”
With money you could do so much.
Hili's Gaming! on April 23, 2020:
Helps me a lot!
adini weerasinhge on April 21, 2020:
Who are you?
theANONYMOUS on April 19, 2020:
EVERYONE I AM FAMOUS! But I am not telling you who I am!
Ian Stuart Robertson from London England on February 19, 2020:
I've been a devoted fan of Sophia Loren for most of my life. The secret to her success is her 'Feminine mystique' Her beauty has never faded. Celebrity status with modesty to say the least.
Ruby Rube on February 19, 2020:
Hi everyone, I’m famous but I really like it it autually depends on what type of person you really are.
Donna on January 04, 2020:
Celebrity life is not easy. Cant even go out to your front porch to get your morning paper in your bathrobe without finding your picture on a tabloid a wrek later, along with a remark about how sloppy you look. If you gain a measly 5 lbs, you're fat. Many celebrities have unstable marriages, kifs with drug or emotional problems, etc. All that glitters is not gold.
Ian Stuart Robertson from London England on December 30, 2019:
The inimitable ZOELLA, a young English woman who caused a sensation for her entrepreneurial skill. It has become difficult to access very much about her now.
sharon on December 25, 2019:
They have no clue who there friends are, many people only want to be friends with them because of there money and fame. Hoping the money will rub off on them. They live in a fish bowl. So many of them move to another state, small town USA, and stay low.
Ian Stuart Robertson from London England on December 16, 2019:
Another advantage for celebrities would be having servants to do the menial tasks.
Nano on December 15, 2019:
Thanks that helped me with my homeworke
kato the slave. on August 22, 2019:
Undoubtedly the fabulous Gabor sisters were clearly never disadvantaged.
Ian Stuart Robertson from London England on August 21, 2019:
All have their 15 minutes of fame.
Badadada boom on August 20, 2019:
Ian Stuart Robertson from London England on August 15, 2019:
With reference to Lady Gaga and her new image, I'd very much congratulate her character development.
Shomesh Chowdhury on August 14, 2019:
Anybody in the public eye has to be responsible for everything that you say and do. If you are not responsible for your actions and what you say, then, people will be killed for your actions. It is the fault of people in the public eye that normal people are being killed (this is the truth). People in the public eye hear nice things from everyone, this is the biggest problem and they hear lies not the truth about what is happening in their town or country and the world.
Make trillions of pounds. As you love money.
Shomesh Chowdhury on August 14, 2019:
Every person in the public eye (whether celebrity or local person in the public eye) must always be responsible for their actions and for what they say. As everybody knows you have to help everybody this will make you happy inside as a person.
There are no disadvantages in being in the public eye because you can buy your way out of anything, in other words you can pay people any amount of money and get away with anything and everything.
People in the public eye attracts everybody, whoever they are, this makes people in the public eye get away with everything.
Make Trillions of Pounds as every person in the public eye is rich or filthy rich.
Dr Narendra Kirar on August 12, 2019:
Very good information i got from this article. as i was preparing for an assignment.
Knarf the hermit. on July 17, 2019:
Lady Gaga's newest outing has caused a sensation.
Ian Stuart Robertson from London England on July 16, 2019:
One high profile television presenter who confronted an intruder in her home, who was subsequetly apprehended and appeared in court and the judge handed down a longer sentence because of her celebrity status.
SuperMarioLogan on July 15, 2019:
I love being famous
Martha on June 11, 2019:
Dilmi De silva on June 11, 2019:
This article was really helpful.Thanks a lot and keep up the good work.
Manvir Singh on April 17, 2019:
Thanks alottt... this article really help me.....it is wonderful who had written this...
Nice on April 14, 2019:
I have learnt more
Ian Stuart Robertson from London England on April 06, 2019:
Glamorous Hollywood actress Nicole Kidman is anxious over her daughter's interest in Scientology.
knarf the hermit. on April 04, 2019:
regarding involvement with cults, the Rolling stones and their Sympathy for the devil a perfect example.
Canadian on April 03, 2019:
Helpful thank you.
knarf the hermit. on April 03, 2019:
The possibility of being lured into a cult is always on the agenda.
i am nigarian on April 02, 2019:
thanks for the info
the way on April 02, 2019:
kato the slave. on April 01, 2019:
When you're hot you're hot !
A on March 29, 2019:
Ur mom on March 29, 2019:
This is epic
Aiden Jhonson on March 29, 2019:
Omg so cool
thục đoan on March 29, 2019:
thanks a lot :)))
Anonymous on March 28, 2019:
Thanks for the help hope you have a great day
tompa on March 04, 2019:
rokin from chesta
Max on December 15, 2018:
Thanks, this page helped me with my homework :D
Ne on December 07, 2018:
Thank you for this explanation
Ian Stuart Robertson from London England on October 16, 2018:
Some (not all) of so called 'celebrities' are a crashing bore.
Enzo876 on September 09, 2018:
Ashlee Gales on August 30, 2018:
Thanks you guys
Cyka Blyat on August 21, 2018:
Athstetics on August 20, 2018:
Omg! This surprised me a lot and thank you so much for making this cause this gave me so many ideas to use in my speech THANKS
Green Arrow on August 09, 2018:
Thanks this helped me lots
Trini on May 03, 2018:
This page us really useful in my studies... I like the page
Jesse on February 21, 2018:
Really good keep it up but don't put pictures I don't like it
Jesse on February 20, 2018:
wamba mumba on February 15, 2018:
research before you post
Annie LeBlanc on February 06, 2018:
This is so messed up. Do you know any celebs personally? Just because people post things about celebs doesn't mean they're true. So do research before you just go and say stuff like this.
NIAMH on February 05, 2018:
I DONT LIKE MY PARENTS SO IM GOING TO DISOWEN THEM AND BECOME A CELEBRITY.THIS ARTICLE HAS HELPED ME MAKE MY DISSICEN!!
THANK YOU FOR THIS
Cat lover on January 17, 2018:
This helped me a lot in my music class, and since ias in a rush this helped me finish
Sameita on January 14, 2018:
Thanks it helped me a lot
Bruno56 on December 10, 2017:
I admit writing in You Tube nasty comments on some "celebrities". These idiots are no "holy cow" you can't "touch". And I have no regret writing them. To see one, this guy named Mr Trump in the White House, is enough to make me hate "celebrities" & "rich & famous". Now they can be "elected", & have no NO preparation for serious public office just because they are "famous"?. DAMN!
jame on November 11, 2017:
this helped my test wonderful
Sofia Bestani on November 08, 2017:
It helped me a lot!!! Thank you so much!!!
alsgren on October 31, 2017:
wow, i'm not like that
##### on October 23, 2017:
Natascha on October 18, 2017:
Thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much! i had to write a speech on celebrities and this helped me so much!
Buthidy on October 11, 2017:
I really like this page. . it's good to know about our world celebrities life
petra on October 09, 2017:
thanks! it helped me so much
Izabela on October 09, 2017:
The article is amazing!! It helped me so much. Thank you!
O on September 17, 2017:
It really helps a lot for my work
Lunar on August 21, 2017:
This will be very useful For my speech contest thanks so much !!
brian on August 10, 2017:
i like it
wintwar oo on July 04, 2017:
Thank so much for informations!
It will help alot in my project!
best lolly pop on June 07, 2017:
Randomgurl on April 11, 2017:
Wow I'm pretty close to being famous. That's why I read this. Maybe I should start wearing a wig or sunglasses like sia lol
autumn on March 16, 2017:
it is a great artical
Joner the Bonner on February 27, 2017:
THIS IS A CRAP ARTICLE
kyloren on February 14, 2017:
Thank you this is awesome info
AulanitheRealisticperson on January 26, 2017:
I believe that being is really cool, but what about the lack of privacy, and getting critisised everywhere you go, it's like since your a celeberity they expect you to be perfect.
hamza on January 23, 2017:
it is easy to be a celebrity person, but it will be stressful.
Samah on December 31, 2016:
What a piece of reading
BrodyMcCain on November 26, 2016:
Once I was on a music show and performed a song. I was nobody, but later was sitting at my friend's bar. The bar was empty at the time. So I gave him a copy of the show to watch on the TV in the bar. We were simply there watching it chit chatting suddenly two hot women entered the bar, paid absolutely no attention to me, didn't give me the time of day, I was invisible while they sat watching the music show on the bar TV. Then they started moving their eyes from the TV to me then back to the TV then back to me. They said "is that you on TV that guy looks alot like you!!!" I said "Yes it is" Suddenly I was somebody. I was something. Within an instance I had two chicks all over me. I don't think it would have mattered what I looked like at that point I had just gained my first two female groupies. Just like that! Simply by them thinking I was remotely famous or might be on my way to becoming famous. In otherwords you don't even need to be famous, just having people think you're about to be famous will do the trick. I had lots of free things come my way during that time. General managers at banks even willing to give me loans with no credit checks. It's amazing how quickly your life can change just by people thinking you're on your way to being famous. I was invited to big parties, lent nice automobiles to drive, don't worry about it they'd say. Everyone wanted to be my friend, just from me being on the show. It's like I just won the lottery. People wanted my autograph, cameras flashing each time I'd play even a coffee house. I'd open a local magazine and there I was in it. Women walked up to the stage during breaks handing me their motel room key. And I wasn't even famous. More of a local hero maybe. But not famous by far. Take from my story what you will. My point even people thinking you are on your way to being famous is like being famous. Just on a smaller scale. Strange.
Ian Stuart Robertson from London England on August 25, 2016:
With a lull in hub pages articles at this stage i thought it worthwhile to re visit sites i've been connected with to surprise myself with what i've contributed and possibly post more content.
mintymoo on August 25, 2016:
thanks for helping me with a speech i also thought i would be amazing to be a celebrity
Mari on April 21, 2013:
It is a very interresting piece to read. Things to keep in mind if I'd want to become famous one day...
princesswithapen (author) on January 06, 2012:
You've hit the nail on the head. Internet has indeed spelled doom for celebrities when it comes to privacy because they really don't have control over who posts what. But then again, isn't it like a double edged sword because it is an awesome free promotional platform too? Guess like everything else in life, there are no free lunches.
Thanks for noticing the 300 mark. It is an awesome feeling to know that your hubs are getting a wider audience, don't you think? It is also a motivational boost to publish more hubs.
princesswithapen (author) on January 06, 2012:
Yep, we've definitely seen many rock soid celebrities go through emotional and mental turmoil at a stage in their lives. Fame is like a rose - beautiful and fragrant, yet thorny.
princesswithapen (author) on January 06, 2012:
It would be really cool to be a celebrity. But like you say, it'd be difficult to maintain composure when each and every eye on the street stares at you in awe, or otherwise. I'm glad you liked this.
Lack of privacy has often driven the best of celebrities to the brink of anger, frustration and even physical assault against paparazzi. Guess they didn't read the fine print when they stepped out to be a celebrity which probably said "Every moment of your public life will be photographed, whether you like it or not" Thanks for your stopping by and your appreciation.
FloraBreenRobison on January 06, 2012:
Congratulations on reaching 300 followers!
FloraBreenRobison on January 06, 2012:
It was easier to be a celebrity during the days before the internet, and especially during the studio system era when you were given a fake bio and press releases to the personality the studio wanted. Photoshoots and carefully chosen questions and public events were planned and celebrities attended. Then you went home. he press knew you were actually divorced or living with someone who is not your spouse or that you were homosexual. The Press were part of the studio system format and worked with celebrities. That ended when Frank sinatra divorced his wife to marry Ava Gardner. It's been downhill for privacy ever since.
Stacie L on January 06, 2012:
You pointed out the ups and downs of celebrity.Most people think it's a cake walk but it does take its toll. Many celebrities have emotional and mental problems before and after the fame dies.
Movie Master from United Kingdom on January 06, 2012:
An interesting hub, I really enjoyed reading. I just can't imagine what it must be like to have no privacy, I would hate that!
laurathegentleman from Chapel Hill, NC on January 05, 2012:
A very interesting read - I have always thought it would be cool to be a celebrity, but I do have to remind myself that it's not always easy to be in the public eye...