MLP: Friendship is Magic Pony Types
In Reboots: Why They Happen and the Results, the My Little Pony franchise has gone on for a long time. Starting in 1984, this show about talking horses has come a long way. Especially since My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic has had its characters have developed their own traits that made them all unique. One aspect that made the ponies in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic was that their species had unique traits among them. Unlike the original My Little Pony series, all of the magical horses had unique attributes that differentiated them from other ponies. For example:
- Earth Ponies were the most physically gifted of ponies. Also some of the best farmers in all of Equestria.
- Unicorns were the most magically gifted of the pony races. A big majority of the unicorns in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic have been shown to be able to do things like levitate objects or manipulate objects in a way that would be impossible without hands.
- Pegasus Ponies were able to manipulate the weather. Other than being one of the most well-known flying ponies on this show, pegasi have had the most unique abilities when it came to weather. Also able to use clouds as beds for some reason.
- Alicorns basically had the combination of all of the other three groups in one body. Also possessed extreme powers that made it so that most of the known alicorns in this show were in positions of government.
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic had some unique creatures on its show, but the ponies that made the majority of the cast were unique in their own ways.
- Earth Ponies were the regular ponies of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. They did not possess any special abilities. However, in some episodes an Earth Pony has been shown to possess far more stamina or physical strength when compared to a Unicorn or a Pegasus.
- A majority of Earth Ponies in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic were capable of incredible strength. Like in the episode Over a Barrel where the viewer saw a group of Earth ponies pull a train full of other ponies. And keep going both day and night without any stops. Other feats of strength in this episode included one pony jumping off the second-floor window of a building to ride a rampaging buffalo. And look like she was having fun.
- Another aspect about Earth Ponies shown in Over a Barrel was their agricultural ability. Earth Ponies in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic have had roles that primarily dealt with agriculture. Applejack, for example, has been shown to have her own farm where she worked in apple growing and farming. Another example would also be the primarily Earth Pony population of Appleloosa were all settlers who were trying to turn a desert into a livable area. Complete with apple trees. And it looked like they were fairly successful.
- Unicorns in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic were shown to be the more magically gifted pony race in this show. They possessed the ability to channel magical energy through their horns. Magic in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic also does not involve reciting spells. A unicorn just focuses power in their horns, the horn flashes, and something comes out at the tip.
- Magic varies in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. In lower levels, the magic manifests as an aura that a unicorn can use to levitate or manipulate objects. Like a hand. Larger objects usually required more concentration. In higher levels, abilities like teleportation became possible. In later seasons, abilities like time travel or creating giant shields of energy became possible.
In Boast Busters, Twilight Sparkle revealed what a highly skilled unicorn can do with its magic. Here, she used her magic to subdue a rampaging Ursa Minor by:
- Magically break reeds to produce music.
- Lift a giant water tower to use as a makeshift bottle.
- Milk a group of cows without any physical contact.
- Prevented the Ursa Minor from accidentally crushing another pony.
- Used the giant bottle to feed the Ursa Minor. While the bear was feeding, Twilight Sparkle then used her magic to lift both it and the bottle back to wherever it came from.
Another unicorn, Rarity, used her magic to be a bit more mundane in comparison. She actually owned her own business in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic as a dress-maker. In A Dog and Pony Show, Rarity was asked to make a dress with jewels embedded in it. Fortunately, Unicorn magic could be used for mining as well. This was shown in this episode by:
- Rarity using her horn as a dowsing rod.
- Whenever her horn glowed, Rarity used that as a sign to indicate that jewels were nearby.
- To better see where a jewel was located, Rarity's horn also produced an X-Ray image of a gem's exact location.
- All that was left to do then was to dig for said jewels.
- The Pegasus race in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is still the same as other fictional portrayals of Pegasi. Primarily their ability to fly.
- My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic adds certain aspects to its Pegasi to help make them unique. As shown in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic-Season 1 Synopsis the episode Sonic Rainboom established that not only were Pegasi able to fly, but also manipulate clouds to create a fully functional city in the sky.
- Another aspect introduced in Sonic Rainboom was the extent of the weather manipulating abilities of the Pgasus race. In Friendship is Magic (Part 1) one pegasus, Rainbow Dash, was able to make a cloud produce rain by jumping on it. Sonic Rainboom actually established that the Pegasi living there produce all of the weather in Equestria through machinery.
- In the episode Hurricane Fluttershy the plot was that Clousdale needed water so that it could produce rain to keep Equestria's crops healthy. And grow food. The problem was getting the water necessary up to the flying city. That was where the weather manipulating abilities of a pegasus came in.
- Basically a large group of Pegasi had to fly in a circle over a lake until they generated a tornado.
- The tornado then carried the water upward towards Cloudsdale.
- Cloudsdale then gathers all of the new water so that the city would have more than enough water to consistently make rain clouds.
- Alicorn in mythology referred to the horn that unicorns possessed. In My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Alicorn referred to a special kind of pony in Equestria. Basically the rulers.
- Compared to unicorns, Alicorn magic is far more powerful. Powerful enough to control celestial bodies or even concepts. With very little strain on the user.
- In My Little Pony/Game of Thrones: Royalty I talked about how the first two most prominent alicorns, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, had powers that raised and lowered the Sun and Moon. And were also the joint rulers of all of Equestria.
- One of the more recent alicorns introduced was Princess Mi Amore Cadenze. Or Princess Cadence. In the second season episode A Canterlot Wedding, Twilight Sparkle revealed that Princess Cadence used to be her babysitter when she was younger.
- As her name implied, Princess Cadence also had a special ability associated with her name. Specifically, love.
- As the clip shown above established, Princess Cadence had the ability to make two arguing ponies get along afterwards by making them fall in love. Not as powerful as Celestia and Luna, but it is still unique to her.
Questions & Answers
In MLP, can unicorns also have just horns because Rarity is classified as a unicorn, yet she does not have wings? So does that mean unicorns also have just horns?
Unicorns ONLY have one horn in this context.Helpful 2
In MLP: Friendship is Magic, are Alicorns the rarest type of pony?
Which type of ponies are Fluttershy and Pinky Pie?
Pinkie Pie: Earth PonyHelpful 4
Is Twilight Sparkle in "My Little Pony" really gonna have a kid with Flash or is that hoax?
Pretty sure that’s not going to happen.Helpful 3
Which type of ponies are Twilight Sparkle and Rarity from My Little Pony?